Articles on this Page
- 07/26/15--06:04: _Worming A longer Life
- 07/28/15--16:37: _Roomba’s Artificial...
- 08/02/15--06:21: _Government Surveill...
- 08/05/15--11:24: _Heating Up Music in...
- 08/08/15--07:01: _Mysterious Future N...
- 08/10/15--14:46: _Piss On You – Frida...
- 08/18/15--05:22: _AI’s Killer Jazz Ri...
- 08/18/15--10:46: _Age of The Tech Sla...
- 08/20/15--09:19: _Little Pink Pill to...
- 08/21/15--05:34: _Nano Egg’s Big Huevos
- 08/27/15--07:12: _Pushing the Map’s L...
- 08/27/15--10:04: _Beijing’s vs. U.S. ...
- 08/28/15--13:08: _Same Taste with Hal...
- 08/31/15--04:34: _Uber Announces Adva...
- 09/01/15--04:56: _Tinker, Tailor, Sol...
- 09/02/15--04:57: _Flash, Dying, Recei...
- 09/03/15--03:46: _Intel’s Pocket size...
- 09/04/15--05:50: _Android Killer Tize...
- 09/08/15--04:30: _HIV Blocker Truvada...
- 09/11/15--04:38: _CERN Sees Alternate...
- 07/26/15--06:04: Worming A longer Life
- 07/28/15--16:37: Roomba’s Artificial Intelligence is Real (?)
- 08/02/15--06:21: Government Surveillance: See D**k Run
- 08/05/15--11:24: Heating Up Music in the Carbon Age
- 08/08/15--07:01: Mysterious Future Nanobots Here Now….UFOs?
- 08/10/15--14:46: Piss On You – Friday Night Nano Retribution
- 08/18/15--05:22: AI’s Killer Jazz Riffs – Literally
- 08/18/15--10:46: Age of The Tech Slave, How eCompanies Chew Up and Spit out Workers
- 08/21/15--05:34: Nano Egg’s Big Huevos
- 08/27/15--07:12: Pushing the Map’s Limit, Sweating the [resolution] Details
- 08/31/15--04:34: Uber Announces Advanced Technology Center on Heels of Hacker Hire
- 09/01/15--04:56: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, #Spy
- 09/02/15--04:57: Flash, Dying, Receives Mortal Google Wound After Ashley Madison Hack
- 09/03/15--03:46: Intel’s Pocket sized Compute Stick gets Improved Chip
- 09/04/15--05:50: Android Killer Tizen in Classy Smartwatch
Helicases are housekeeping enzymes in cellular genetic replication. They are essential for separating double strands of DNA into single strands so they can be copied. Researchers in Korea have succeeded in tweaking a particular helicase found in roundworms – humans have it also – resulting in worms with doubled lifespans. Suppressing HEL-1, as the helicase
I say artificial intelligence I imagine androids like Data from Star Trek or the little robot boy from the movie A.I. that wanted nothing more than to be a real boy. Others may envision artificial intelligence as something more organic like the Nexus androids from the movie Blade Runner with Harrison Ford or even just
‘Government Surveillance’ episode of Last Week Tonight on HBO includes a Moscow interview with Edward Snowden. It’s a funny and thorough look at what privacy does and doesn’t mean to Americans. The talk with Snowden is preceded by a series of brief, man on the street interviews revealing just how little most think about NSA
Old stereo towers were clunky behemoths with iron magnets moving a paper cone to create sound in air. Then came neodymium – powerful rare earth permanent magnets updated the same principle at a fraction of the weight, making miniature speakers possible. Now, University of Michigan Grad students Mahsa Asgarisabet and Troy Bouman working under Asst.
From UFOs? I’ve seen the videos on youtube. UFOs that morph into recognizable aircraft with wings and fins from odd blobs and strange stationary lights. Other worldly objects seem to devolve into yet weirder contraptions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FIUp8zv2Dg . So how is it done? Enter Nano-Man. Subject of a short film – trailer here:http://www.extraordinarybeliefs.com/i-am-nano-man/ . We open
who’s wandered New York’s East Village – or any urban drinking playground – after a busy night knows the stench of urine. Male revelers make impromptu latrines of nearby walls and dumpsters. Convenient, partially hidden alleys are attractive repeat targets despite signage delineating private property, or encouraging respect for the neighborhood. Leave it to nanoscience
You may or may not have stumbled on Compressorhead, a three robot rock group, and self declared “only real metal band.” The above video includes a Mohawked gear assembly drummer. The underlying programming of this grungy Real Steel is more upjumped player piano than R2D2 gone punk. DARPA -that’s the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency
employees pushed to breaking point don’t surprise the Machiavellian among us. After all, this is a down market. Lots of smart people will do what it takes to earn at a thriving internet company, and the do or die of competitive business pervades our culture. We revere hard workers and loathe complainers. I can remember an 80s Consumer Electronics
touted as the female viagra comes to market to treat HSDD or Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder. The condition is diagnosed in much the same way as depression where subjective symptoms are cataloged by a doctor who intuits the best treatment. Critics of the medication site the slim 8 to 13 percent margin between Addyi and
I can see myself a decade from now, closer to seventy than I care to admit, telling incredulous ears, That halcyon memory may well arrive long before I hobble with cane. MIT’s new “yolk and shell” electrode epitomizes long awaited nano advances in battery tech. Here’s how it works. Present lithium ion batteries charge slow,
tricycle camera car is an icon of 3d spacial mapping. Other companies have entered that market with varying success. Apple is far into a project using equipment similar to Google carried by mysterious unmarked vans, their effort aimed at redeeming a flawed attempt of years back. Enter open source geo data collaborator Mapzen. The company’s
Duke University trained Doctor of Electronic Engineering Lui Ruopeng continues to spin magic in the field of Metamaterials. This particular nanotech subset, heralded for invisibility cloaks in the popular media, now encompasses a huge range of potential advances in radar, optics, sensors, communications and computing to name but a few. Pictured is a meta-satellite dish
DouxMatok taking a que from drug delivery nanotech, has devised a silica/sugar combo molecule. Sugar paired with the ingredient in common beach sand creates a stable sweetener capable of producing the pure version’s taste, though with half the calories. Once the product is digested, the sugar part is metabolized, leaving the silica – already an approved
The 1.4 million vehicle Fiat/Chrysler recall began after a Wired Magazine article. Then Twitter Engineer Charlie Miller and IOActive Director of Vehicle Security Research Chris Valasek exposed a Jeep’s security vulnerability, all on video: click to see I love the term ‘security vulnerability.’ It’s such a civil way of saying they remotely took control of
TINKERS ARE AUTOMATING ALL THE OTHER PROFESSIONS. WELL, ENGINEERS ARE ANYWAY. DARPA announced in 2012 its goal to create garments employing “zero direct labor.” Scratch the tailors. The rise of the autonomous military robot is a done deal. Humanoid, mule-like, or all terrain robot flea, you can scratch the soldiers, too. That leaves spy. We
Flash is in everything. Wikipedia lists vector and rastor graphics, animation, browser games, rich internet – desktop – mobile applications, and mobile games. It started out as SmartSketch before becoming FutureSplash Animator, then Flash, with side names ShockWave Flash, ScaleForm GFx, Adobe Flash Lite and Adobe Air depending on which application or machine the software
I found it reassuring when reviewers mostly positive reviews cautioned Intel’s Compute Stick wasn’t quite the same as a full fledged desktop PC. Otherwise, why would you buy anything bigger? The point of a product like Compute Stick is small size and price. Now with an upgrade from the Atom processor to a Skylake Core
towered over the competition. That was before Apple, Google, and everybody’s uncle entered the fray and market share slimmed over just this last year. Tizen, an android like operating system first slated for light in 2012, saw it eventual lackluster portable device debut in February 2015. The test in smart phone savvy India revealed an
In a study of 657 at-risk individuals, the first real world trial of AIDS drug Truvada saw 657 men remain virus free. Over a 2.5 year period, the group composed of 99% self identified gay San Francisco men were seen every 3 months to determine effectiveness of PrEP or Pre Exposure Prophylaxis, the generic name
When did time begin? Did our universe burst forth in explosive space/time creation. The Big Bang, until recently, was our best shot at explaining the observable cosmos. Still, even little kids ask, “if time started then, what happened the minute before?” CERN may have the answer. The largest man-made machine, operating after refit at almost